Sunday, April 1, 2012

Never thought I'd be this excited for a long run...

I'm pretty sure this has been my best running week since the marathon in November.  Not the best for speed by any stretch of the imagination, but as far as my mental state and runs that are a good confidence boost this week has been pretty BA.

Starting with the run on Wednesday in my last post, I wanted to try to run the whole hilly 4 again on Thursday to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  I did it again and improved my time by 40 seconds (yay!).  Once again, nowhere near where I was a couple months ago, but I have to start somewhere!

There was a group training run scheduled put on by a local marathon, half marathon, and 8K coming up the Southern Indiana Classic.  The half marathon route was supposed to be 11 miles, and I wanted to able to run with Martha and see Julie, since I haven't been able to go in over a month.  Julie has been doing a quicker pace than I can do right now (rockstar!), so Martha and I got to run together.  We ended up with about 9.55 miles, I don't know if we missed a turn somewhere or what happened, but I was pretty happy with it considering my longest run all year was 6 miles last weekend.

Not that 9 and a half miles is a long run compared to what we did last fall in marathon training, I think we peaked at about 22 or 23, but it felt good to get out and challenge myself again.  As painful as the longer runs can sometimes be, the sense of accomplishment (and the allowing myself to not pay super close attention to what I eat for the rest of the day!) is always more than enough to make up for it.  It has to be, otherwise I don't think anyone would purposefully put themselves through marathons more than once!

I topped out at around 26 miles this week, and I'm feeling pretty good.  I'm looking forward to start working on getting some of the speed back!

No comments:

Post a Comment