Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Smooth(ies), like Keith Stone...

Backstories:

I got a new blender the Christmas before last because I had all kinds of great plans to make smoothies and shakes and other blendable treats.  And then it sat on my counter for a year.
And...
My stepdaughter goes on kicks of not wanting regular (cow) milk when she comes down.  Usually she goes for soy (not a fan).  This time she was fooled into the Silk Pure Coconut vanilla milk.  She saw the Silk and thought it was soy (she's only 6, so still impressive that she read some of the carton).  She liked it, so all was well. I tried it and it was ok, but I could never just drink a glass of it.  Thus, a few days later she's back home and I have half a carton of coconut milk.  So my blender looked at me and said "over here stupid!" and I decided now was the time for smoothies.  I've been making them for several weeks now and I wanted to record my favorites so far for posterity, and so when I forgot what I put in them I could look in a place where I couldn't misplace the random piece of paper I wrote it on.
*Note, I use all frozen fruit instead of ice, and I've been going back and forth between the Silk PureCoconut Vanilla, and Silk Unsweetened Vanilla PureAlmond.  And regular milk when I run out of everything else.

My smoothie on an outdoor adventure...in a beer glass.   Sometimes the dishes don't all get done.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Berries
Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Cherries
Frozen Blueberries
About half to 1 tablespoon of Dark Chocolate Dreams PB from Peanut Butter and Co. (or Nutella, or regular PB and cocoa powder) plus a dash of cocoa powder
Half-1 tablespoon of flax seed (optional)
8-12 oz. Milk of Choice (see note above)-I like the Silk PureCoconut vanilla best

Blend! Add fruit or milk to get desired consistency, I like mine thicker
.

If you take this to work, be prepared for a lot of "WTF are you drinking"?
My Green Monster Smoothie
*For more info on green monsters, go to this site.

Big ol' handful of spinach or baby spinach, put this in first so it is by the blades!
Nut butter o'choice (see above)
flax seed (optional)
1/2 a banana
Frozen Mango
Frozen Pineapple
Frozen blueberries
8-12 oz. of Milk o'choice

Blend it like Beckham! (yay for stupid puns!)


The first of the smoothies.  Love this one!

The I woke up the husband and made him try this smoothie Smoothie
Nut Butter of Choice, I really recommend either the chocolate or the Nutella for this one.
Flaxseed if you like
Frozen mango
Banana
Milk o' choice, the coconut vanilla one is awesome in this!

Blend and drink!


These are my favorites so far, and I really like the idea of getting a couple of servings of fruits and even veggies in before 8 in the morning.  I think they give me more energy and help me cope with the majorly less amounts of Diet Coke I've been drinking of late.  If anyone has ideas to share or suggestions, leave a comment, I like trying new ones!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big mango fan, but I would definitely try the first two!! Even though I have never tried nutella, everyone keeps talking about it. AND doesn't everything taste better in a beer glass??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try throwing in a handful of almonds or cooked oatmeal to mix it up! (Cook the oatmeal the day before and refrigerate!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love almonds! I've been thinking about adding oatmeal to kind of bulk it up, definitely going to try it!

      Delete